- 1. Get an education!
- 2. Get licensed!
- 3. Pursue the future you’ve created!
To create beauty, you have to learn beautifully. Start off your journey to becoming a beauty pro by choosing to get an education from a school you trust and love.
H How to Choose a School
What Does Your Cosmetology Curriculum Offer?Find a school that offers a cosmetology program that offers what you actually want to learn. Not only should the school teach you practical skills, but they should cover the theory of cosmetology. You need to know the foundations of what you’ll be practicing.
Will I Fit In?Will you thrive at the school of your choice? This is something to consider when you’re assessing culture fit. Take a look at the school’s social media accounts, their blog, and even ask current and past students what their experiences were like!
What Does a Day in the Life Look Like?What will you do every day? Will you get to practice in the student salon? When does that begin? There are so many fun things to do in beauty school! You can find out more about what it looks like to move through the phases of school by asking about the timeline for skill achievement and graduation.
How Will I Fund My Future?OK, so you’ve asked all the questions about fitting in, making sure the program offers the education you need, and you’re almost ready to commit. Congrats! The biggest problem students have with finally enrolling is a financial one. How will you pay for school?
2. Get LicensedEducation? Check! What’s next? It’s time to get your license.
- What will you need to apply?
- 1. 1200 hours of certified training (official transcript from your qualifying school).
- 2. You’ll need to pay a $25 application fee.
- 3. You’ll need to fill out the application.
- 4. A driver’s license or State Issued ID.
- 5. A copy of your high school diploma or GED.
- You’ll then need to schedule your own appointment for taking the written portion of the exam.
- This part can get a bit confusing, but if you utilize the resources available to you at the links above, things should go smoothly! We recommend contacting the Department with any questions on the process!
- Phone: 401-222-5960
- Licensing Unit Room 105A,
- 8:30 AM - 3:30 PM, Weekdays
3. Pursue Your FutureYou’ve got your education, you passed the state exam, and now you’re ready to take on the world of beauty. Good for you! This industry is vast and full of potential. Not sure where to start? Consider a few of these amazing careers!
If you love working one-on-one, helping others, and like to work in energetic environments, consider looking for a job in a salon! Salons allow you to work side-by-side with other professionals while achieving personal success with your clients. Another great reason to consider the salon life is the menu of services you can offer! Each salon has its own flavor, which means they may specialize in one area of cosmetology or in all areas! What will you do in a salon?